Search This Blog

Sunday 26 May 2013

Marsden Rock

Just been over to South Shields via the ferry to have a look at Marsden Rock I knew there were nesting Kittiwakes there but was surprised at the sheer number with many also nesting on the cliffs to the side , a few pairs of Cormorants on the top and a handfull of Razorbills on the North side this is a fantastic bit of coastline it differs greatly with that just north of the Tyne, I was wanting to check out the coves for access from land and the sea having recently taken up Kayaking I am eager to find new areas to try out when I get a bit more experience , inevitably I have started a birds from a Kayak list its obviously going to have it's limits but I'm off to a good start with more to follow !!
The Ferry having to wait for a passing ship

As is the River Cruise heading down to the mouth of the Tyne
 Marsden Rock I think it was reduced some years ago ( as was the one at Seaton Sluice ) in the interests of health and safety
 Another small stack along the shore with Kittiwakes nesting just over the top

 The beaches practically deserted despite the weather not so Sandhaven though

No comments: