Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Holywell to Ross Sands February 5th,9th,12th.

February is ticking along on the 5th I cycled to Holywell along the coast ,40 Curlew, 5 Grey Partridge, 3 Hare, and 20+ Common Gull on the school field can attract a few hundred at times. Nuthatch , GSW & Tree Creeper ,which landed at the base of a tree just feet away  of course I had not brought the camera , predated Woodcock in the cem 70+ linnets along the track, 25 Mallard,2 Gadwall, 15 Tufted & 5 Goldeneye, I just got sight of a large gull  leaving the pond west, it was overall biscuit coloured , two toned bill, plain tail but slightly darker  tones in the wing tips which puzzled me , of course I immediately reached for the camera which I did not have . I thought Glaucous at the time given the build but the wing colour bothers me .

9 February just another cycle to the harbour, just to clarify the harbour is the South Harbour Blyth accessed from the beach road park near the caravan storage and walk in. The Quay is the area further up river you can drive to the waters edge at places, especially opposite the Alcan jetty.    A small Common Seal  feeding in the harbour and 6 Snow Buntings still around but again no sign of the RNG.

12 February I went with the NTBC to Ross sands unfortunately the weather was not in our favour with rain and poor visibility ,first stop Budle Bay, single Brent many Bar TG, Redshank & a few Dunlin  nevertheless, I picked out about 10-12 Slavonian Grebe, 2 Velvet Scoter, Common Scoter , Long Tailed Ducks, but oddly no divers they could have been just further out. On the Walk back it was brighter a Merlin on a post . A look for the Geese to the west eventually finding three Pinkfeet and over the hill some Greylag which held 4 Bean Geese , which took some picking out, some could see them easily and some not at all ( including me) getting at the right angle and with a bit of sun the birds stood up and showed to all. Stag Rocks it was brighter again a flock of Purple Sandpiper dropped in I got a quick count of 65 ( I think later the total was 135?  ) again plenty of Long Tailed Ducks one or two close in , a few more Slavonian Grebe, but again no Divers.
Stopping at Monks House Pool we picked out an overall  whitish gull odd looking thing, large white covert patch with a few flecks on the mantle and body ,all dark bill beady dark eye (against the light ) and lightish brown tips to  the wing and undertail coverts, not the best of views as it was among many other birds , I wondered if it was a hybrid of some sort  or perhaps had some Kumlieni influence , whatever it is , its worth looking out for.

 
 Kittiwake and Common Seal Blyth harbour
This  Spider was on the wall at home only about 1/4 " long

No comments: