Search This Blog

Sunday 6 April 2008

2/4-04-08 St Mary's Wetland area

A cycle to St Mary's on Wednesday to perhaps get any migrants like Wheatear ,failed to produce any along the coast other than ever present Stonechats, no sign of the Water Pipit , there where 21 Whoopers on the sea only had my old scope it was hard work trying to check them out for Bewicks ,they did drift closer and while getting a couple of shots I noticed what I thought was a Harbour Porpoise breaching behind them ,a few shots later and I suddenly realised it was the tip of the wreck just showing as the tide went out ,I waited for them to take off to try and get them past the Lighthouse, the honking got louder and louder and they where off but they kept low to the sea and gone in seconds, I did notice some Cowslips in flower along the bank and off in the distance of the bay what looked like a Red Necked Grebe but just to far to be sure.
Friday 4th report of a pair of Garganey at the wetlands saw me there again now a strong west wind the birds sat asleep only lifting there heads when the Redshank took off ,they did show better later but to windy for digiscoping, two nice birds good to see them back again.
21 Whoopers on the sea just off the rocks
Surprised at how quick they where up and gone !!!
Cowslips on the banks.

Rather poor effort for the afternoon ,missed the Fox & Stoat for photos

No comments: