Search This Blog

Monday 1 October 2007

29/30-09-07 Saturday & Sunday

Saturday started off slow I went to St Mary's via the car park near the masts ,looking across the north bay I thought I had found a Grey Phalarope in the distance but going further around there was no sign ,talking to M&N they told me off a second winter Med near the car park I found it on the rocks and waited for the rising tide to push it off to get a couple of flight shots, walking further round I noticed a juvenile Swallow waiting to be fed while sitting on the rung of the ladders that go down to the sea for once on the sunny south side it looked up at me so I took a couple of shots, a little stunner, called in at the Sluice for a couple of hours seawatch giving me
47 Common Scoter
6 Red Throats
35 Wigeon
18 Little Gulls feeding offshore
I Juvenile Long Tailed Skua
Completely missed the info on the Blyth's Reed due to me having the wrong settings on my message service.
Sunday and the report of Grey Phal at Cresswell was a good start it showed very well after sometime ending up to close at one point being hard to see against the edge of the pool ,then on to Druridge Pools Black Tern Juv showing well in front of the hide and a Kingfisher was noted along the east shore it came and fished in front of the hide giving stunning views, with the Pectoral Sandpiper along the west edge, a Ruff landed near the Tern as if to say take some pics of me , so I did back at the car we noticed 2-3 Hawkers as the sun was now warming the area and I watched one land to take a photo the wings are looking very warn now this one Migrant Hawker a fresh Comma also nearby, Cresswell again on the way back the Phalarope still showing but not as in the morning , keeping along the reed edge, Snipe feeding in the newly cut area in front of the hide, this used to flood and was also good for Water Rail, what a great day
Who says there are no birds at Seaton Sluice
2nd Winter Med complete with mascara


Sitting on the ladder looking up at me
There must be a few shots of this bird going around, nice find !!


very obliging Black Tern
Trying to get my attention
I can never capture the colour of these stunning birds to do them the justice they deserve
Migrant Hawker looking rather battered
Its a long time since I have seen a Snipe this close at Cresswell

The end of a great day

No comments: