Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 January 2007

15-01-07 Big Waters for Otters

Yet another very windy day and being reminded of the Otters at Big Waters so why not as good as place as any on a day like this ,got to the car park and had a walk over to the pond 10 Bullfinch feeding on Haws and a small flock of Goldfinch in the treetops but not much to see on the pond itself but I could see birds over towards the Hide ,a large flock of Lapwings in the fields and Redwings in the hedges birds along the hedge are always on the far side and only showing as they fly off.
The Otter had been seen and indeed it showed again bit at a distance,it showed again and again getting just that bit closer then it disappeared ,about 20mins later I saw it out of the corner of my eye towards the left of the hide just yards away and it was coming closer one shot of it before it dived,you could see it's progress by the bow wave it was making and it was coming over to the hide,this was going to be my best shot yet of an Otter it came into the rushes right below me barging through the stems but could I see it ,could I hell it swam below the surface to the next patch of rush just a few feet away I could See it now and again as it went through,how frustrating to be so close but not see it properly just once,the duck moved out from the edge so I assumed the Otter had moved further along.
Some Goldeneye where near the hide,also Teal & Mallard,with good numbers of Tree Sparrows at the feeders,also a couple of Long Tailed Tits dropped in but no Siskin or Brambling oddly there was a large flock 100+ chaffinch & Goldfinch feeding on the ground by the dipping pool ,most of my birding at the moment is more about what I have not seen rather than have.





No comments: