Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Sunny Sunday 14-6-09

I should have went to Holystone today as it was a much better day to look for Butterflies, I just had a lazy day in the garden reading up on stuff I should have seen and trying to I.D. flowers I did see , about 20 Juvenile Starlings around the garden making easy work of the fat balls and also finding the two bird baths which I had to refill a few times over the day, they bathe which such vigour, Swifts entering their site on the side of the house it always takes them a few tries to get straight in but after a few goes its straight up to the gap, the site with the CCTV is unoccupied this year which leaves me very disappointed, I started on the wine so if something did turn up it would have to be within bike range, Swift, Swallow, House Martin,Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow,Magpie, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Herring,( these have also given up on the nest ) Lesser BB, Oystercatcher, and a single Fulmar which is a new bird for the garden list.
Below picking up the bits that drop are Wood Pigeon Collared Dove, several Starlings & House Sparrows

Not the best of shots but I love the expression of the bird on the right

This bird bath is 4' X 15" a stainless steel shelf that lay in the garden waiting to be put up in the garage,till I noticed how popular it was as a bath, looks like it needs filling again, So now I am a baths attendant........... No Bombing, No Smoking, No Petting, No Vulgar Behaviour (thats the Starlings banned then) read up on some great facts, did you know a Swan can have as many as 25,000 feathers , Guillemots can dive to a depth of 180mtrs, and something that puzzled me why Manx Shearwater was named Puffinus puffinus, I don't know if this is true or not , but apparently a specimen of a young bird was sent to ornithologists labelled as a Puffin and so named, later to be identified as a Manx Shearwater.


Getting some sun








No comments: