Search This Blog

Thursday 22 July 2010

White Letter Day..............19-7-10


Monday I went over to Thornley Woods area to look for White Letter Hairstreak, parking near the centre I headed off it was overcast with periods of sun but on the whole not looking good ,plenty of Meadow Browns on the wing but most looking very worn .
Eventually located two feeding on nettle, they where not what I expected I thought I would see them flitting around and trace where they land as with most Butterflies but these just seem to disappear when they fly ,luckily they seem to feed for ages on the same flower head and I could even get my macro camera close without problem (but unfortunately lost the lot as the card will not open ).
Headed off to the pool nearby but only Common Blue Damsels around did get close photos of Commas but also lost,the rain started and just made it back to the car gave it 40mins or so then headed out again but it was by now dull.
Called in at Holywell as it was still early afternoon, Greenshank dropped in ,Common Sandpiper an assortment of Gulls and 70+ Lapwings also 1 Common Tern took some digi of the Greenshank but all lost also, gutted about the White Letter Hairstreak shots looked like some of the best Butterfly shots I have taken so far, as I do not have a macro lens for my 50D.






No comments: