Search This Blog

Thursday 20 January 2011

First Bat of the Year

Saturday the 14th I just had a couple of hours so I headed back down to the the estuary  had a quick count of some of the roosting birds ,90 Teal, 5Goldeneye, 2 merganser, 20 Bar -tailed Godwit, 50 Curlew, 1 Grey Wagtail , I did not stay long but did notice the new fence has some panels missing  I said it would last till the better weather and i predict it will all disappear over the year.
Headed off to the harbour called at the quay for a look along the river 140 Knot roosting on the far bank. The Red Necked Grebe still in the harbour but I got no photos got a couple more colour ringed Shags and checked through the Gulls.. Just putting my digicam away when I noticed what I thought was a dark wader coming  past me heading down river , I got the bins on it and could make out it was a BAT ,to me it looked largish but it was the fairly straight and direct flight as it headed down river and then turned west over the dunes , I put a note on BIRDFORUM  hoping someone could at least give me a hint of what it could have been, it was mild  on the day but it was the location and direct flight that has me puzzled  it was certainly on the move  !!!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the size & straight/direct flight, your bat sounds pretty much like a Noctule.

Northumbrian Birding said...

Thanks Dean I think you have steered me to the one ,reading up Noctule has a long arm which I remember seeing and the colour seemed reddish brown.
Brian