Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Hareshaw Woods 4-5-09

A visit to a nice old woodland in May sounds ideal, but the reality was very different, cold grey overcast with a strong wind and fine rain most of the day, made for difficult conditions especially for photos, a pair of Siskin at the car park was a good start, and Blackcap , Willow Warblers at the wood edge, I like to re- acquaint myself with flowers, Goldilocks almost all gone over, as was some Toothwort, I have had Moschatel ( Town Hall Clock)here also but could not find it today,nice show of Violets & Primrose,also Woodruff,Pignut just coming through,plenty of Red Campion and carpets of Golden -Saxifrage & one of my favourites Water Avens, Herb Paris with most not yet in flower, I only had my big lens which is not ideal for flowers, which are not as easy to photograph as you think. Probably loads of stuff I missed but was well satisfied with just how many I could I.D.
Bird life was quiet a pair of Dippers on the stream and a pair feeding young under the bridge, a pair of grey Wagtails up on top of the Waterfall , numerous Nuthatch with a couple of Roe Deer which I tried to capture in the gloom, instead of a picnic in the sun we sat huddled in the car with no sign of it clearing up we headed home early, which I hate to do always feel its a waste of petrol.



Siskins the first bird to be seen



Herb Paris with a big lens not showing them at there best

Toothwort
Violet & primrose
A couple of Roe Deer up on the valley side I think I was down to 1600iso @ 1/45 sec


One of the six bridges to the falls

Dippers by the road bridge giving a great opportunity for some shots ,apart from the heavy drizzle and gloom...............never happy when you carry a camera












No comments: