Search This Blog

Thursday 1 February 2007

01-02-07 Cresswell /Druridge Bay

View from the screen Cheviot in the distance
I think this was a birder that has won the Lottery

Like most people I can't believe its February what a fabulous day,a run to Cresswell Pond about midday the water level is not bad,there are plenty of Duck on the small pond,with good numbers on the main pond ,the female Smew was easily picked out in the strong light although it was very distant,after a scan of the area I made a loose count of 260 Wigeon,6 Shellduck,96 Teal,30 Tufted,c20 Dunlin,79 Redshank, only a few Curlew ,got a couple of pics of this Wigeon with the white flashes on its head strange thing , as I left a Helicopter flew over very low while I was walking back past the small pond and I thought this is going to put everything up so I got ready with the camera,but it flew behind the farm and the air filled with birds as 2000+ Pinkfeet and every Duck & Wader other than the ones I was waiting for lifted into the sky,it was now I noticed a flock of Curlew 70-80 strong.

The geese dropped down behind the farm so I had a walk up and scoped them picked out a couple of neck collared birds PXV & PXY but nothing else with them.

A report of a flock of about 150 birds mostly Twite with a few Snow Buntings in the fields East of Bell's Farm but all we could find where Linnets with a Sparrowhawk passing through.

Next stop the flashes at Druridge bay by the screen,this had loads of birds on , about 300 Wigeon,200 Teal,300Lapwing & 70+ Golden Plover,feeding together in front of the screen included 6 Pheasant,Teal,Wigeon,Curlew,Wood Pigeon, next stop the pools but only a pair of Goldeneye here so I looked onto the sea for Divers with nil result.

On the way home the geese where in the field north of Cresswell and I found at least four collared birds but unable to read in the dim light


Tufted Wigeon ?
The power of Digiscoping basic lense wide angle setting

Basic lense zoom setting thats the geese either side of the telegraph pole

Scope with camera attached showing two Pinkfeet with neck collar read as PXV,PXY

No comments: